Skin conditions can range from mild to moderate symptoms, but all irritating, nonetheless. There is a deep connection between your skin, gut health, and inflammation and we’re going to cover what you can do about the three most common skin conditions: acne, eczema and psoriasis.
- Acne: this is widespread among adolescents and adults and the most common form is acne vulgaris; it is characterized by whiteheads and blackheads around your face, chest, back &/or shoulders, but can be as large as deep and painful blemishes.
- Diet can play a role in acne and a food sensitivity test can help you determine if it’s an issue for your body – our compounding pharmacy offers lab testing for food sensitivities if you’re looking to learn more about your body.
- Eczema: the most common type of eczema is atopic dermatitis; it is characterized by dry, itchy, swollen rashes that appear most commonly on the face, neck, elbows, and knees. Rashes can be triggered by an immune system reaction, but it’s not clear why and without knowing the root causes, it can be difficult and frustrating.
- Probiotic supplementation may reduce help relief symptoms as studies of infants and young children have found people with eczema have less microbial diversity in their guts.
- Coconut oil can also provide some relief when applied topically due its antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory proprieties.
- Psoriasis: the most common type is plaque psoriasis; it is characterized by red, scaly, itchy or painful patches (sometimes lesions) rise on the scalp, knees, elbows and lower back. The triggers are unknown but it has a genetic component and is considered an autoimmune disease.
- Supplements that help include: Fish oil, selenium, vitamin D, vitamin B12
Skin disorders are complex but we know that healthy gut microbiome is important in supporting skin health. If you have questions about your skin, food sensitivities, or gut health, schedule a free 15-min consultation with our expert nutritionists.
We also offer a customized skincare solution to help treat all your personal skincare needs – take this free survey to start building our your all-in-one Blend and Boost skincare product. Stop by our store in Torrance or call us to place an order. Don’t forget our 15% off monthly sale this month starts tomorrow!