June 30, 2020 12pm | The Remedy Pharm
The right food is vital for your mental health and certain foods are more beneficial than others to boost your mood. With the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, we need to pay closer attention to what we consume to optimize both our physical health and mental health.
Studies have shown that high-fat diets that include sugar-sweetened food and drinks are associated with a greater incidence of mood disorders because what you eat directly affects cognitive abilities, memory functions, and emotions.
Pay close attention to foods that activate positive emotions such as:
- Fruit and berries: oranges, bananas, strawberries, blueberries, and apples. You will increase your intake of dietary fibre, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants which are all known to reduce oxidative stress, inflammation, and mood disorders.
- Fermented foods: yogurt and kimchi . The microbial action performed by fermented foods improves digestion and magnifies anti-inflammatory & antioxidants activities in the body which improves overall brain function and mood.
- Dark chocolate: yes, you read that right! Chocolate! Cacao is high in antioxidants and eating dark chocolate (in moderation, of course) helps to improve cognitive function and mood. The darker the concentration of cacao, the better it is for your mood.
- Fatty fish: salmon, tuna, herring, anchovies, and swordfish are packed with vitamins and minerals, especially omega-3 fatty acids, to improve brain function, reduce stress and cell damage, and overall fight against depression.
- Whole grains: barley, quinoa, rice, and millets. Not only do these high-fiber foods help you with digestion and lose weight, but it also boosts your mood and regulate neurotransmitters.
Have questions about what foods you should be eating to improve your mood? Contact us now to schedule your free 15-min consultation with one of our certified nutritionists.